With Wrath of the Lich King Classic inching closer to its conclusion, it’s time for Blizzard to figure out what they may offer players next. And thus, the company is now contemplating bringing Cataclysm to WoW Classic.
Back in February, we have discussed the topic of whether Blizzard will release Cataclysm classic. And now, the topic has once again gained traction as Blizzard is currently grappling with the decision of what lies ahead when WotLK comes to an end. Presently, two options are under consideration. The first is to keep everything the same and put more effort into enhancing the gaming experience in WoW Classic. Alternatively, they may opt to unleash further expansions. In such a scenario, Cataclysm Classic would be the forthcoming addition to the game.
And so, the developers have turned to the community for help. In September last year, they conducted a survey among selected players. The goal was to find out if said gamers would be interested in playing Cataclysm Classic.
According to Scottejaye, the developers have recently sent out another survey. This time, they asked fans about more specific aspects of the game. It appears that Blizzard is considering more significant deviations from the original Cataclysm. And they want to find out if players would appreciate such additions.
If Cataclysm is introduced to WoW Classic, it will naturally include all the most exciting features from its original version. Nevertheless, the developers are also exploring the possibility of incorporating some additional changes and innovations:
- Account-wide collection of pets and mounts
- Updated collection interface from retail WoW
- Solo queue for arenas and changes to arena formats (including the removal of the 5v5 mode)
- Changes to professions, particularly the removal of specializations for main crafting skills
- Significant adjustments to abilities and mechanics
- Changes to the talent system and the removal of various restrictions
- Heroic+ dungeons (resembling the Titan Rune dungeons in Wrath of the Lich King Classic) and a Mythic+ mode (similar to the trial mode in Mists of Pandaria, not from retail WoW)
- Dungeon journal from retail WoW
- Revamping of world events. For instance: Primal Storms, Deathwing’s assault, Ahn’Qiraj War Effort, Scourge Invasions, as well as world bosses, rare enemies, and other activities in content suitable for repeat playthroughs
- Balancing the leveling process
- Making the Raid Finder tool accessible from the early days of the expansion
- Updating old raids for level 85 with improved challenges and rewards
- Allowing free flying in all zones from level 1
- Balancing the loot of 10-player and 25-player raids
It’s important to note that the information mentioned above should not be taken as definitive statements. There’s no guarantee that these features will be included in the game. At the moment, they are simply the developers’ ideas to test the water and a way for them to gauge the community’s interest.